Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

23 July 2017

Black Watch 29th October 2016, Part 2 the conclusion


Sunday 30th October 2016
Last night in my cabin was a Daily Times for today, which simply said we would arrive at our mystery port at 8.30 a.m. Hmm, I can see we are in Amsterdam and berthed at the Cruise Terminal near the huge main Railway Station, which is fine with me. It looks grey outside but then this is almost the end of October; I went for breakfast and found hot porridge available so the world is improving by the minute.


View to the funnel


View down to the pool


Comfy corner


The Fred. Olsen logo on the funnel


One of the Fred. Olsen pieces of artwork, entitled Bergerac 1955, by artist Sigurd Nome


Black Watch/Black Prince model


Details


Several of us walked out of the terminal and along the road towards the station and the cross-river ferries embarkation pontoons. We hadn't walked far when we realised that the good ship MAGELLAN was heading towards our cruise terminal berths and offered photo opportunities as she slowed and turned.


Magellan, of CMV


Magellan stern


Photos done we could continue along to the ferries and I went on ferry number 50 and then walked a little distance so I could see the BLACK WATCH from another vantage point.


Ferry route 50


Black Watch and Magellan, seen through light rain


On my way back across the water the light rain started and I was glad to get back on board for lunch. I noticed from the Daily programme that at 11.30 this morning I could have gone to the Marquee Bar on deck 9 to try one of the eighteen varieties of gin available on the Gin Menu! After lunch several of us went for coffee in the lounge/card room, and to catch up on the various activities of the morning.

Once again there were live entertainments available on board during the day, plus music, movies and various dining and beverage options to choose from.


The Prom deck at night


We sailed in darkness at 6 p.m. from the lovely port of Amsterdam, heading back to Harwich overnight, but first we had drinks, dinner and evening show time to enjoy here on board.


I did, I did


Ships seen: Black Watch, Magellan, Port of Amsterdam tug 5, Sovereign the river pleasure craft, ferry number 50

For a ship of 28,623 gross tons, and built in 1972 as the ROYAL VIKING STAR, I think BLACK WATCH of Fred. Olsen is a little gem of a ship, and long may she last. I had enjoyed a happy time on her with my friends.