Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

28 May 2019

MSC BELLISSIMA 14th March 2019 Part 8


Saturday 16th March 2019
On board MSC BELLISSIMA it was another lovely warm and sunny morning as we arrived at our berth in Marseille after sailing overnight from Barcelona.


Looking aft towards the inner port


Once I was on deck I could look out and see the dry dock that I remember so well from December 2011. Back then I was on board COSTA DELIZIOSA for a short cruise of 4 nights from Savona which turned into a shorter cruise into a Marseille dry dock but with free excursions and fun on board. (See Costa Deliziosa 18th December 2011). Today after breakfast we walked round to see a little more of this new ship, and enjoyed coffee in the Horizon Pool Bar area.


Grand Canyon pool bar area


Fun seats; at first glance they reminded me of Cadbury's milk chocolate finger biscuits


The big seats were a fun design and comfortable, although with a tendency to make me slide down towards the floor. This was in port, I hasten to add.

We also found a large model of the up-coming MSC World Class ships, the first of which is due in 2022. It has a radical design bow, will carry 6,774 passengers at 205,700 gross tons.


Upcoming World Class ship


Details of World Class


Photograph


Deck scene


Reflections, right above me



My friend was having a sea day, and didn't want to go ashore here in Marseille, so I set off on the shuttle bus with my costly ticket.


Ship's bow


MSC Bellissima from the quayside


Viking Star at a nearby berth


The VIKING STAR was berthed on the other side of the quay. The route through the docks was odd, as we seemed to have very little room on either side of the coach between the security fences. I think it was just a single lane route, and occasionally we were very near the ships alongside the quay - but with fencing between us. I could see some familiar ferries but they were quite difficult to photograph because of the line of sight. I hope to be luckier on my way back because I imagine this lane has got to be one way only, but time will tell.


Pascal Paoli and Girolata


Algerie Ferries Tariq Ibn Ziyad


Vizzavona of Corsica Ferries


Her stern ramps


Vizzavona round the other side - I thought we were close, to get all these views


Here we are at the shuttle drop-off place



To be concluded...