Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

30 October 2019

Ferrying in Greece September 2019 Part 9


Friday 20th September 2019
I set my alarm so I could wake early and watch the arrivals/departures from the Great Harbour of Piraeus. There is a great satisfaction in watching all the activity from a little balcony, despite trying to shower in the bathroom, then dress and pack. I think there had been early but slight rain as I went down as arranged for breakfast at 8 a.m.


Map showing Pireaus and Rafina


Blue Star Delos


Festos Palace


Blue Star 2 arriving


Phivos departing


Blue Star Paros


Festos Palace, Phivos and Blue Star Paros, with the mountains in the background


ANEK's Prevelis


As I closed my balcony door I noticed a bus stopping across the road and could see our Greek friend Fotis getting off it and walking across the road to our hotel to join us for breakfast. Minutes later he told us that he was amused to look across at the hotel and see me on my balcony on the first floor and Jonathan B on his balcony on the fifth floor, both of us taking photographs.

Fotis had time to talk and discuss ships before he headed back to work in the city. As we looked out at the sea we noticed that what appeared to be a Hi-Speed ferry had come to a standstill as she approached the harbour outskirts. Then we saw a tug heading towards her, which then accompanied her into the harbour. This turned out to be Master Jet of Seajets. Jonathan B was later told that she is to be refurbished and returned to service after spending several years laid up in Chalkida, where Seajet have quite a number of these craft laid up either in reserve or as sources of spare parts.


Tug tugging


Master Jet of Seajets


Agios Nektarios


Wellesand


My plan for the day was to get back to the Great Harbour and catch the proper ferry across to the island of Aegina. I see no point in getting a fast craft when there is an alternative.

Then it was time for fond farewells as Jonathan B was seeing local friends today and tomorrow before flying out of Athens early on Sunday morning. He would then be off on another stage of his holiday. I would be sailing to Aegina later this morning and staying until Saturday afternoon, and then flying home to the UK.

I had booked to sail on the lovely red-hulled PHIVOS and soon collected my ticket at the agent near Dock Gate 8, in good time to sail at 11.30. I could see various familiar and unfamiliar cruise ships and ferries around me, including one of the horrible Russian-built Aegean Flying Dolphins. Their exhaust fumes outside and inside the vessels are truly terrible, so I was glad to sit far away from them in the now hot sunshine. Soon PHIVOS arrived and her passengers disembarked. A little later the sign appeared giving her next departure time and destination and I went on board up the designated foot passenger ramp at the side of the main ramp.


Ships seen: Ships seen from Piraeus hotel: Blue Star Delos, Festos Palace, Blue Star 2, Phivos, Blue Star Paros, ANEK's Prevelis, Master Jet of Seajets, Wellesand, Agios Nektarios,


To be continued...