Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

10 November 2020

TUI DISCOVERY 2, Part 6, day at sea

Wednesday 27th September 2017 Today there is no port and no alarm call, so it was a late breakfast for me on our sea day.
Setting off for breakfast
Artwork on the way to breakfast. The sun was shining again, the sea looked blue and lovely, and there was time to enjoy the ship and the views outside. Way over on the horizon I could see a Costa cruise ship silhouette but we are out at sea sailing north to Funchal in Madeira, a distance of 614 nautical miles from our port yesterday in Gibraltar. At noon we heard that we are North 34 deg, 39 mins, and West 10 deg, 43 mins, doing 16.5 knots and there is 4,000 metres of deep water beneath us. I know that off the coast of Portugal there is a huge deep trench so we may be somewhere near that. Walking in the Glass House I noticed the attractive lavender-coloured plants dividing part of the area; in that area I also noticed the wall behind the coffee/tea station. It seemed to be glass or enamel but the colours and design were a delight to see. A fish and chips lunch at the Snack Shack was another treat during the sea day.
The sea
Flowers
A Costa cruise ship on the horizon
The tea and coffee station
The back of the coffee station
Even closer
More lavender colour in my life. I remembered to take a couple of pictures of my twin-for-single-use inside cabin.
In my cabin
Another view in my cabin. After an afternoon doing nothing much, except enjoying the sea day and the warmth of the sun in late September, it was eventually time to go inboard and prepare for dinner and the evening's entertainment. We decided to eat in the 47⁰ Gallery and once again chose the "whilst you wait" offering once we had been seated by the waiters.
Whilst you wait...
This is how it looked I am still amused by this presentation but it is so apt (and delicious). Starters were chosen and then the main courses.
Starters
Next
Next
And then
And my choice was... As before, the desserts were another delight and I finally made up my mind to try the Trio di Tiramisu. It was another treat on this ship. Talking with some other guests, my diary tells me that the couple we were talking with were soon going to be looking after a friend's small-holding and we were shown several photographs of Archie the sheep who lived there. He looked a handsome lad! Emerging from the Dining Room it was a little disconcerting for guests to come face to face with what might be seen as new silent members of staff, with most unusual uniforms. The Atrium itself is eye-catching and a good place for an after dinner stroll or just to see and be seen.
Silent members of staff
Part of the Atrium
Ship launch plate
Lovely doors. The music show that evening was with live music and gave me the chance to photograph the elegant doors to the theatre on the way in. That was our day at sea heading for Madeira tomorrow; I first went there many years ago when I worked as a Purserette with Union-Castle Line at sea, so it might be a rather nostalgic day. Ships seen: Costa something at sea on the horizon. To be continued...