Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

02 September 2022

Carnival Pride 10th June 2022 Part 5

Tuesday 14th June 2022 This morning we arrived into the port of Alesund. Oh my, it's raining hard again but I have my full waterproofs with me so intend to walk out to the Hurtigruten port area.
Strand Senior
Oceanic Endeavour I went for breakfast, knowing my friends were working or otherwise engaged this morning. There were few passengers around so I had the opportunity to photograph many features around this ship, including some of the Farcus-designed ones. I seem to like most of them, as they are often eye-catching and certainly with maritime connections. I am amused by the sight of prone mermaids on the ceiling in some areas.
Atrium Bar
Guest Services
Adventures
Up a deck
Another View
Looking up
Sweeping staircase With breakfast done, and full waterproof gear on, I left the ship and walked through the usual Restricted area along the quayside, until I could get out into the town. Over distant rooftops I could see a big H that I realised could only be the Hurtigruten symbol, so I started walking towards that. I knew one of the fleet would be there and I was fortunate enough to arrive as POLARLYS was preparing to sail. They are such handsome ships to my mind, with their black hulls and company funnels. The ropes came up and then she was ready. There were a few people on deck and I offered them a tiny wave as I watched the ship sail away. She soon gathered speed and sailed off into the gloom of the still falling rain.
Polarlys
Sailing away I headed back to the ship by way of a small quay and enjoyed seeing some unusual looking vessels.
Safir
Parat III
MS Bilfergen, built in 1921 It was still raining but when I got back to the ship I discovered we had company, in that AIDA PRIMA had berthed nearby. Near our gangway I found a kind person who took a picture of me, although only a part of my face was visible through the rain; at least I have a souvenir of the morning. Back on board and in my cabin I could hang my wet gear up to dry and go and find a delicious cappuccino. All was well with my world again and I could enjoy catching up with my diary notes and checking the ships' names from this morning for my diary. During the afternoon I saw there was sunshine outside so went up on one of the top decks to enjoy the views of Alesund whilst it was dry; I also took a photo of the funnel as it is so distinctive. I met my friends for a drink before dinner and to catch up with what everyone had done during the day. One of my friends also produced a special 'gift' which is to be on loan to me for the rest of the cruise: it is a cushion. That may seem underwhelming to you, but to me it was very useful. I am fairly short and find the seating alcoves in the Normandie dining room are lovely but are not ideal for a short person. Having a cushion to sit on made all the difference to me. The kind staff will look after 'my' cushion and get it out at meal times; at the end of the cruise it will have to be returned to the Serenity area. What a kind friend who borrowed it for me. Dinner was enjoyable, especially seen from my new seating height, and we all enjoyed seeing the waiters dancing on the tables again during the musical interlude.
Waiters dancing Tomorrow we are due to visit the port of Molde, which should be interesting too. Ships seen: Carnival Pride, Aida Prima, Artemis Atlantic, Oceanic Endeavour, Strand Senior, Polarlys of Hurtigruten, Kalvoy, Safir, Parat III, Keiser Wilhelm, Fjorckabel, MS Bilfergen built in 1921 To be continued...