Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

24 July 2011

Summer 2011 Part 2

Sunday 10th July 2011 (contd.)
Nordnorge and Trondheim

Still at the quayside however was the star of the recent television programme about the Hurtigruten ships: the NORDNORGE herself.

NORDNORGE

There were two hours before she sailed at noon, so I could be a happy visitor on board and enjoy seeing this lovely ship.

Reception

She was built in 1997 at 11,384 tons, with 2 bow thrusters and 2 stern thrusters, to carry 623 passengers (and 45 cars) with a service speed of 15 knots. Like the other ship, the cabins are on decks 2, 3, 5 and 6, with restaurants and lounges on decks 4 and 7.

I climbed the gangway towards reception on Deck 3, and was welcomed and given a security card for my time on board. Up on Deck 4 the stern Restaurant Halogaland was closed, but an arcade on the starboard side led past toilets, a baby room, a play room,

Children's Playroom

Another piece of art work

internet points and a shop and cafĂ©. Ahead was the Stella Polaris Bar across the full width of the ship. Up on Deck 7 at the stern was the Sun Deck where passengers were settling in with rugs and books and forward of this was the full width Observation Lounge. Forward of this was the Panorama Lounge Torghatten, which I thought was just wonderful – truly a panoramic view of the sea around and ahead.




Vestfjorden Salon

The Mail (Post) flag

An interesting design

Cartoon

I smiled at the carpet details

Swags

I thought the art work, the furniture and furnishings on board were all lovely, complemented by the shining woodwork, glass and mirrors everywhere.

This really appealed to me

artwork detail


The Card Room

The Interior Design Plans

Polished staircase

It seems a great deal of thought has gone into the comfort and elegance of the ship’s interiors and I liked it a lot. In fact I sat in one of the lounges to write up my diary notes, and enjoy my surroundings, before going ashore to watch NORDNORGE sail at noon.


NORDNORGE

Goodbye NORDNORGE

Trondheim port road sign

Trondheim map

Back in town I walked to see the 1,000 year old Nidaros cathedral, which is Scandinavia’s greatest medieval building and dedicated to Norway’s patron saint St. Olav. The west wall is an amazing sight, even under a grey sky, near one of the city’s rivers.

Trondheim Cathedral

Also nearby I walked across a bridge to see the old fishermen’s wooden homes, which have brightly coloured paintwork fronting the river and are still homes but also cafes, restaurants and little shops, which appeal to the locals and tourists alike.

Front view of a Bank

Riverside buildings

An interesting drain cover

Amnesty International riverside offices


Riverside homes

Walking back along the riverside I saw a dog enjoying a swim from a tiny riverside beach – he was on a very long rope lead, presumably so he didn’t get swept away in the current. Rain was threatening as I reached my hotel again, and within minutes there was the most tremendous thunderstorm with torrential rain blotting out all views from my window, and the noise of thunder competing with the noise of the rain.

I am here visiting Trondheim for the first time, prior to sailing on the Hurtigruten ship NORDSTJERNEN tomorrow, and it is the most extraordinary feeling to know that my Father visited Trondheim several times during his career at sea with Blue Star Line as a Junior Engineer on board the 1927-built ARANDORA STAR. The ship cruised to Norway, Scandinavia and Mediterranean ports in the English summer and to the West Indies during the English winter. Father’s ship was here on 17th June and 27th July 1931, 25th July and 3rd August 1932, and 31st July and 9th August 1933, which I can see from his Board of Trade Discharge Book and the Company brochures of the time. This is obviously where my own sea-going genes come from, when many years later I joined Union-Castle Line, and here I am following in Father’s footsteps.

Ships seen: Richard With, Nordnorge, a Coastguard vessel

To be continued...