Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

16 August 2013

DISNEY MAGIC 9th July 2013


DISNEY MAGIC cruise

You can imagine the puns when I said I was going on a Disney Cruise - are you taking the Mickey? Is it a Minnie cruise? Having laughed politely, I packed my little bag and flew to Barcelona to join friends for 4 nights on board DISNEY MAGIC. She was built in 1998 at 83,000 gross tons, so I was looking forward to seeing this rather traditional-looking ship.

Monday 8th July 2013
I flew from Gatwick to Barcelona on a mid-morning flight; we were beside the end of the one and only runway, waiting to turn and take off, when the incoming aircraft suddenly aborted his landing and roared off into the sky as I watched, probably one minute before touchdown. That must have been an unnerving experience for those passengers, but we were soon on our way, flying out over the South Downs of England. The Seven Sisters cliffs near Beachy Head Lighthouse were a beautiful sight, looking down on them, and I could understand (but dislike) that the town of Dover recently used them for advertising purposes to pretend they were the White Cliffs of Dover.

In a very hot Barcelona I took the airport bus and then the Metro to get to my small hotel near the port and then marvel at the Reception desk.

In Reception

Reception Desk

I smiled to see the poster on my bedroom door, which was called Los Cruceros. A harbour tour was next, to see five cruise ships and various ferries all in port. The cooling breeze was delightful during the 40 minute trip.

MSC Splendida

Island Escape

Aidablu

Ippotis

Island Escape's 'balconies'

Cruise Barcelona

Horizon

Tenacia

Later I met up with some of my travelling group for drinks in a popular plaza where we watched acrobats and jugglers, and then dinner nearby, so it was an excellent start to the trip.

Ships seen: Seabourn Quest, MSC Splendida, Island Escape, Horizon, Ippotis registered in Limassol and built in 1991, Aidablu, Cruise Barcelona of Grimaldi, Splendid of GNV, and Encarnacion for the harbour tour.


To be continued....