Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

04 November 2019

Ferrying in Greece September 2019 Part 11


PHIVOS arrived at the Aegina quayside at 12.40 and I disembarked with everyone else, and made my way along the quay to the road. I soon located my small hotel set back from the road and trees and checked in. I had asked for a sea view if it was possible, and I was lucky. I had an en suite room with a view of the sea from a very small balcony, which was fine. It had room for two chairs and a table looking towards the sea in one direction and along a lane in the other.


My hat on the balcony table


Aegina island


I planned to get a local bus to one of the recommended island sights and so that afternoon I went to visit the Temple of Aphaia. It was said to have been built in about 490 BC, and it was very interesting to see the huge remains on this site. The views out over some of the island were stunning but the sky turned ominously navy blue at one point and then of course it rained. I was one of several visitors in this place who immediately went to the nearby cafe/shop and enjoyed tea under the shelter in this remote place.


About the Temple of Aphaia


First view


Another side


One corner


Unexpected flowers


Interesting stone


Another side


Ominous sky


The straits


I caught the bus back to town, enjoying the views through the light rain. We passed the huge Agios Nektarios Temple high up on a hillside beside the road, before descending down to the main road beside the port.

There was still light rain falling so I stood between two of the ticket offices on the quayside, looking out at a ship I have never seen before. It was the ANNA MARU, of Hydraiki Cruises and built in 1993.


Anna Maru, of Hydraiki Cruises


Funnel logo



I don't recognise the name but it seems she runs day cruises from Piraeus, calling at three islands, which sounds a bit of a rush. (I looked her up on the internet later and most of the reviewers were not happy.) I thought she had lovely lines and enjoyed watching her load up ready to depart. Once the ropes were off she seemed to hesitate for a moment, then turned easily and was suddenly off and away.


Goodbye Anna Maru


There she goes


Chickens, turkeys and horseshoes


I was joined in my almost-dry spot between the rear of quayside booking offices by a young lady who told me was booked on the AGIOS NEKTARIOS, due to depart soon at 6.15 p.m. She had been hidden by the ANNA MARU but I could soon see that people were starting to board her. My new friend and I had been chatting for some time, as she said she was visiting Greece from New York for a week or two, and was enjoying all she had seen.


Agios Nektarios



She then had to run through the light rain to the little ferry and get on board. The ship's ramp came up, and started moving towards the bow ropes to get her anchors up. That took some time!

Meanwhile someone was waving to me from the covered deck of the AGIOS NEKTARIOS and thinking it was my friend from New York I waved back of course. It was only a little while later that I had a message from my friend Jonathan B to say it had actually been him waving at me! He had enjoyed a ship visit to a mutual friend in the shipyards and when that ended he had enough time to get the first ferry out, to Aegina by chance, and then immediately return to Piraeus. By an extraordinary coincidence he saw me in my green shirt standing on the quayside near the booking office huts, and waved! Good job I waved back...

Funny old life isn't it.


Goodbye Agios Nektarios, Jonathan and New York lady


Phivos sailing past


I then went for a meal in a local cafe near the quayside, and as it was dark by then decided to take a well-lit route home to my hotel. Down by the water was yet another ship against the quay where I was walking, and I discovered that it was the GALILEO, of Variety Cruises. She is one of eight ships and three private yachts run by this company (varietycruises.com)
and I was immediately charmed by the look of this vessel with her three masts. She was launched in 1992, rebuilt in 2007, and renovated in 2016 according to their website.


Galileo, at Aegina


Then it really was time to return to my hotel, after another fascinating day filled with ships and an ancient temple.


Ships seen: Apollon Hellas, Anna Maru of Hydraiki Cruises, a Flying Dolphin vessel, Agios Nektarios, Phivos, Galileo of Variety Cruises


To be concluded...