Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

17 November 2019

Ferrying in Greece September 2019 Part 12 (the final one)


Saturday 21st September 2019
Today is going-home day. Oh well, there's lots still to see and do before I sail from Aegina at 2.15, back to Piraeus. Breakfast was available on the landing near my room, with a wide selection to choose from. I could take everything into my room and enjoy sitting on the balcony with it, as I watched the happenings in part of the harbour. Plentiful supplies of fresh coffee were constantly available.

Then it was time to pack my bag and leave it with Reception and head for the waterfront.

A vessel from www.alldaycruises.net


Near the All day cruise vessel


War memorial and cannon


Colourful view


Further along


Kittens


Fresh fruit and vegetables


Umbrellas and beads


One street corner


I walked through the back streets, parallel with the water, and marvelled at everything on sale in the street stalls or in the little shops and cafes. There were pretty umbrellas/parasols, clothes, shoes, jewellery, flowers, and of course fruit and vegetables.


Families and fishing boats


Back on the quayside there were many families out for a Saturday morning stroll, as they looked at the fishing boats and other craft.


Apollon Hellas arrived


View from the jetty


A Cosmote vessel (not one of the horrid ones)


Much later I had a coffee and then watched AGIOS NEKTARIOS arrive.


Agios Nektarios arrived



Lots of passengers disembarked and then we foot passengers were allowed on. Officially we departed at 2.15 but although the stern ropes were off, we then had to listen and wait for the ship to get her anchor up from the deep water far ahead of her bow. I realised that it took six minutes to do this, as she seemed to inch forward rather slowly.

Soon we were on our way and sailing across the sparkling water towards the Great Harbour of Piraeus. As we passed the shipyards way over on our port side I could see several small vessels low in the water, but only one had a name visible - BLUE STAR 1 That was interesting as there is a newer BLUE STAR 1 currently in service, which I saw tied up in Piraeus a little later. I could see the occasional IMO number, although not clearly, on other vessels.


Part of Jewel of the Seas


This may be Vision of the Seas


Dionios Solomos


Sifnos Jet


Menekratis


A little reminder of the last ship I was on - Agios Nektarios


Once we arrived in Piraeus port we turned and tied up and I could disembark onto the hot quayside. I walked out of the port gate and onto the busy pavement outside, and found a large air-conditioned establishment that I knew from other visits. It was wonderfully cool inside and I enjoyed my meal and drink, tinged with sadness at having to leave the port of Piraeus. I was pleased that my companion Jonathan B had time yesterday to visit the Telstar Bookshop that many of us know. They stock so many interesting maritime books and magazines. He had met and talked with Mr Costas Papaconstantinou, who asked to be remembered to me and sent best wishes. He was very pleased that Jonathan B had called in to visit.

Ships seen: Agios Nektarios, Apollon Hellas, Blue Star Paros, Blue Star 1, Jewel of the Seas, Nissos Rodos, Something else (Vision?) of the Seas, Dionisios Solomos, Sifnos Jet and Menekratis. There were others that I couldn't identify, but interesting to see.


Now though it was time to get back to Athens Airport and my flight home to the UK. The weather and sea conditions for my first few days in Greece had certainly been unexpected but I have enjoyed a fascinating ten days travelling on various ships to always interesting places, and in good company.