Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

18 January 2020

Vasco da Gama July 2019, Part 4


Thursday 18th July 2019
I had been told about another little trip that I could make from here in Kiel, so after breakfast I headed back down to the water and the Fjord Line ticket office for a return ticket to Laboe, 10 kms north-west of Kiel.


Stena Germanica


Schilksee


Heikendorf for me


Color Fantasy


Bussard, with something interesting at her stern


Stadt Kiel


Heikendorf builders plate


Looking back towards the Kiel Canal entrance


The sun was shining, it was getting warm at last, and I was soon on board HEIKENDORF for a stop/start sail to Laboe. Fortunately I found a seat and enjoyed seeing people with their babies and/or dogs. I think we had about 9 stops at various small places on the way to Laboe and arrived about an hour and a half later after a lovely trip. HEIKENDORF was built in 1983 at 278 gross tons.

The little port area was busy as most of us disembarked, and all the new passengers surged on board.


Buoys, beaches and views


Beach seating


I looked at the seats on the beaches and at a few people swimming or paddling, but walked along the lane at the back of the beaches. At first there were many places offering food (mostly chips) but I carried on walking, heading for the Naval Memorial a mile or two along the coast.


Naval Memorial


Buoy and Y812


It was all very pleasant in the warm sunshine and after arriving at the end of the lanes and the main town, where the Nature Reserve started, I started to walk back and found a small restaurant for lunch amongst obviously local people, with beach views just below.


Color Fantasy sailing off into the wide blue yonder


Color Carrier


Seen in a car park


Another car park tail to tell


Victoria Seaways


Another attractive beach


Back at the little port I walked round to see the various small vessels and then back to board the HEIKENDORF again, to return to Kiel.


Heikendorf arriving


Alkor


After going through the opening bridge back in Kiel, it was time to go to Vapiano, which is a welcoming and familiar restaurant right on the quayside. Food is cooked to order and offers a wide choice. Today I simply wanted Earl Grey tea to enjoy and I sat near the bar and enjoyed that, and watched the ships and people through the huge glass windows all around me.


Freya and her reflection


I walked home and reflected on another lovely day out. Tomorrow I check out from my small hotel and head for the Central Station to meet a friend for another exploration from here in Kiel. Tonight I could start to pack my rucksack and then head to a local bar I had found and enjoyed last night, with wine, snacks, sunshine in the early evening light, and a friendly atmosphere with music to enjoy.


Ships seen: Color Carrier, Alkor, Freya, Victoria Seaways of DFDS, Color Fantasy from Color Line, Y812 ?something from the Navy?, Baltic Petrel from Limassol, Diamant with a long red hull, 2 ships in the Kiel Canal, Heikendorf, Stadt Kiel, Stena Germanica, Bussard, Bulk, Schilksee, Laboe,
Odin, Elch, Victoria Seaways


To be continued...