Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

29 August 2022

Carnival Pride 10th June 2022 (part 2)

Carnival Pride Saturday 11th June 2022 My alarm was set for 9.25 a.m. so that was a good start to our day at sea. We had arranged to meet for Sea Day Brunch in the Normandie Restaurant, deck 2 aft, at 11.30 but of course the need for good coffee earlier meant we all met by chance at the coffee bar midships deck 2 well before that. Outside the sky was clear and blue as we sailed calmly along at 14.9 knots, heading north towards our first port of Stavanger in Norway. Breakfast Brunch was good and offered a vast choice, so we left there feeling that we won't need more food for hours. I think we spent time on deck and then time in-board enjoying the views of the sea and the distant oil rigs. I took some photos of the ship's wake in the sunshine, over a teak rail, from the stern Serenity area. Life was gentle for some hours.
I think this is where I shall mention my two previous Carnival ship trips. The first one was after I flew to Miami, in Florida, from the UK in November 2012. Before sailing I had been invited to visit the Wolfsonian Museum and see their Union-Castle Line Collection, which was a great treat (thank you Larry). A friend and I then sailed on the CARNIVAL BREEZE on 22nd November 2012 from Miami on a 2 night inaugural cruise to Nassau in the Bahamas . Lunch on the first day was in the Italian Restaurant, with another treat for me: one of the many ship photographs on the walls was the ship FESTIVALE, bought by Mr Arison in 1977 from Union-Castle Line as the TRANSVAAL CASTLE for Carnival Cruise Line. She was the first ship I ever worked on as a sea-going Purserette, so being shown that photograph was a treat - thank you, you know who you are. 24th November 2012 saw us arrive back in Miami, and I then flew off to Tampa. Tampa was where I joined the CARNIVAL PARADISE to sail on 26th November 2012 from Tampa to Grand Cayman for our first port, which is a British Overseas Territory. Our next port of call was Cozumel in Mexico, b So those were my two previous Carnival ship experiences, both good fun. But back to this latest Carnival ship, here on CARNIVAL PRIDE, nearly ten years later. There were many things to do during the day on the ship, be it bingo, karaoke, build-a-bear workshop, more food or shopping, but they could keep for another day. Some hours later I think we all had to visit one of the many food locations, to see what was available for a little snack, before dinner. I think we all just like spending time together in unusual circumstances, at sea. We are told that tonight's attire is Cruise Elegant, so out came what's known as my 'posh frock'. It was fun to dress up and be a very smart group of friends this evening as we met for drinks and dinner, before going to the late show. My diary says that a towel animal was left on my bed this evening, which was a surprise when I went home. Ships seen: oil rigs in the far distance, with an occasional supply vessel alongside one or two, but too far away to distinguish.
To be continued...