Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

24 August 2022

CARNIVAL PRIDE 10th June 2022

I left my home in the south of England just a few days after celebrating Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee with family and friends.  It had been a wonderful four days of Bank Holiday celebrations on the 2nd to 5th June 2022 and many of us felt so thrilled to watch the national events on television and enjoy celebrations locally. 

 

At my home I had prepared a display of souvenir items I owned, collected over the years since the Queen's accession to the throne in 1952.  I was a child at the village school then but on half term holiday, and on that 6th February day I remember my mother coming home from the village shop.  As she opened the door I greeted her with the words I'd just heard on the wireless (!) that "the King had died".  She was shocked of course and after that life changed for everyone for ever.

 

Thursday 9th June 2022

Now on 9th June,  here I was with a pull-along suitcase for a ten day cruise on the good ship CARNIVAL PRIDE, sailing from Dover  in Kent to several ports in Norway and back again.  A train through the south of England to Ashford International Station meant I had just under 10 minutes there to get off the train, take a platform lift down to a subway, run along that (fast) with my suitcase, and take another lift up to a platform to get the train to Dover.  I did it! 

 

At Dover Priory station I went to the Ladies facilities and was surprised to be in the way of a young man leaving those facilities at speed, who did apologise as he rushed past.  OK, welcome to Dover I thought. 

 

A local taxi took me to my overnight seafront hotel, where I checked in and left my case, before taking a bracing walk along the seafront of a curved bay.  The town was accessible by walking through a tunnel under a busy dual-carriageway road and arriving in the midst of noisy road works.  I was soon on my way back, looking at the many naval memorial stones as I walked, and thinking of those brave war-time men and women who had given their lives for us. 

 

I could see several P&O or DFDS ferries arriving and departing from the port of Dover, heading over to France.  Tomorrow I  will be meeting up with my travelling companions and we too will be sailing out of the port, but on a cruise ship and heading  for Norway - lucky us.   We all met as members of the Ocean Liner Society and became friends;  the monthly meetings are currently held via Zoom, thanks to the OLS Committee, and are really well-attended. 

 

 

Friday 10th June 2022

One of my travelling companions arrived to join me for hotel breakfast so that was a good start to the holiday here in Dover.  Carnival had requested that we all be Covid-tested ready to sail with them, and proof of a non-NHS negative test e-mailed to them within the last couple of days, so I was happy to get a taxi to the cruise terminal to board CARNIVAL PRIDE.

 

At the quayside my suitcase was taken away to be delivered to my cabin, and we were free to check in and join the queues to board the ship.  Union Jack flags were flying outside, and the sun was shining so all went well and we were soon on board.  I was first asked to go to an officer who was handling the Boat Drill and gave my name which was ticked off on a list.  Several of us were then shown how to put a Life Jacket on properly and that seemed to be the official part done.  I could then head for the Buffet Restaurant on Deck 9 aft for lunch .  Carnival had issued and printed an actual paper Welcome Aboard sheet detailing food, drink and music locations for today, plus entertainment details and locations for the day, which was very welcome and avoided me clutching a phone in one hand like so many other passengers. 

 

Another travelling companion was in the Buffet Restaurant so we had a happy reunion and an enjoyable lunch together.  One more friend will be arriving soon so our little group will then be complete.  We all live in different locations in the UK so always enjoy meeting up for a ship trip. 

 

After lunch we all went down to the Normandie Restaurant on Deck 3 aft to check that my name had been added to our group table of 4 - it had - so that was very reassuring.  Over the many weeks since I booked this cruise on line, Carnival had found it difficult to accept that I was English and lived in England, and that my e-mail address was what I told them it was but all seemed to be well and this week they had started to e-mail  me correctly.  These aren't real problems but did make me wonder.  We had all had to be Covid tested Negative within the last couple of days by an outside source and the proof forwarded to Carnival, before boarding today so I knew I had been accepted as a passenger, even if the ship's dining arrangements had refused to accept my original dining request.  Ah well, all seems to be going well now. 

 

After that we each went to locate our own cabins and key.  I first went to sea as a Purserette with the wonderful Union-Castle Line so my voyages were based in a 'cabin', and I tend to use the word still.  Anyway, my suitcase was outside my cabin and as I heaved it inside, the door closed behind me and so I had a slight problem.  My new stateroom attendant introduced herself and let me in, so that amused us both. 

 

I was pleased to find out that the gross tonnage on this Carnival Spirit Class ship is 85,920, holding 2,124 passengers.   She was built in 2001,  launched in 2002 and last refurbished with upgrades in 2019.  With 1062 cabins, 3 pools, and 13 decks, CARNIVAL PRIDE  is advertised as a Fun Ship, so as four positive people we intend to have FUN!

 

We all met up again as the ship was preparing to leave the port of Dover, up on deck 10 above the Lido in the sunshine.  Far below us in the sparkling sea we could see two local tugs, DAUNTLESS and DOUGHTY, sending plumes of water spray high into the air on our port side although we are still tied up. 

Eventually we felt the ship begin to move away from the cruise terminal and CARNIVAL PRIDE set off on her voyage to Norway. 

 

My Ocean View cabin 1107 was down on deck 1 starboard side forward and very spacious for my single use.  The bathroom had a shower and other facilities but I noticed that the signs over  the shower controls were not correct.  The on/off sign was over the water/temperature control and vice versa, which was disconcerting at first.  I told my stateroom attendant and she arranged for engineers to visit the cabin and put them in the correct position.  If this ship has been fairly recently refurbished I wonder how nobody noticed. 

 

I met my friends up in the mid-ships Deck 2 Bar at the bottom of the Atrium and this is when we began to notice and enjoy so many of the Joe Farcus design features around us in this ship.  In front of the Bar was a spacious compass-rose styled dance floor, with settees and comfy seating set around it, and behind the bar on a small stage were two real musicians entertaining us with enjoyable music before dinner.  Carnival Corporation is celebrating its 50th Birthday Anniversary this year and we were very happy to be on board and able to join in. 

 

We were notified that our dining table was then available and we made our way to the Normandie Restaurant, deck 2 aft.  An actual menu was requested and available from our dining room steward which I thought that made life so much easier, to choose one's food from a complete selection.  I was very grateful to my friends for telling me the various courses during our pre-dinner drinks, as it did avoid me having to put my reading glasses on and look at those details on a small phone in my hand.  I noticed I was not the only person looking at the menu on our table.  I'm aware that Carnival want us all to be digitally-minded all the time, and that's fine, but I think there has to be a happy balance.  I shall leave it at that. 

 

After a really enjoyable meal we made our way to the Taj Mahal Show Lounge for the Welcome Aboard Show.  This was forward in the ship, with a choice of seating on decks 2, 3 and 4, so there were good sight lines everywhere .  The entertainers were really talented and it sounds as if we will be  coming here most nights.  There is no live music here in the Show Lounge but that seems to be the way of it on some cruise ships.  There were lots of other entertainments going on throughout the ship, offering a good choice. 

 

My friends decided to go to The Punchliner Comedy Club after the main show, so I joined them for a short while.  The clocks go forward 1 hour tonight, although we have a day at sea tomorrow.  I saw from the TV details that we are doing 19 knots this evening  in what feels like calm seas. 

 

Ships seen:  P&O Ferries, DFDS Ferries, new Irish Ferries vessel Isle of Inisheer, Carnival Pride, tugs Dauntless and Doughty

 

To be continued...