Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

11 October 2022

Carnival Pride 10th June 2022 - Final Part

Saturday 18th June 2022 Today is called our Fun Farewell day at Sea, here on board CARNIVAL PRIDE. We left Bergen yesterday evening and are now heading south toward the UK. There is a clear sky outside and the sea is calmer, and when I looked out of my cabin window to enjoy being at sea I noticed a bird with black wing tips flying along. He was some distance away from us but flying on a parallel course for some time. I noticed him particularly because he was going faster than us! We four friends have arranged to meet for Sea Day Brunch together but first we met at 10 a.m. in a bar for coffee, before going into the Normandie Restaurant. After that meal my diary says we went to a General Knowledge quiz. I believe we did well, but not enough to win the trophy. It seems I've been nominated as the person to take our team trophy home, so I shall be happy to do that. We are doing 21 knots and the outside air temperature is said to be 58F, so all is well with our sailing south.
Heading home
Inch of Gold
Funnel
Sunset Garden
In the Sunset Garden Time then was spent having a rest, a walk around the ship for fresh air, and discovering the Sunset Garden walkway around the back of the theatre on Deck 3. I also noticed a stall selling the well-known Inch of Gold, that seems very popular on some ships. I think we all needed a snack then and an ice-cream in a cone just for a change. I met an Irish-American lady and her travelling companion again in one of the Piazzas and enjoyed having a chat with her. She is really enjoying her trip overseas and we all like hearing her gentle accent when we meet. Her companion seems to enjoy reading whatever book she is carrying that day, so we all smile and greet each other before reading or talking. Then it was home and packing my little suitcase ready to leave outside my cabin tonight, before preparing for drinks and dinner this evening with my Fun Friends. In the Normandie Restaurant we enjoyed our meal as usual and thanked the staff who had looked after us during the cruise. Of course I had to hand back the cushion that one of my friends had borrowed from the Serenity area on board for me, and I'd enjoyed its use for many meals. We spent some time enjoying the music in the Ivory Piano Bar before each heading home and setting personal alarms for an early start tomorrow.
Sunday 19th June 2022 My alarm went off at 5 a.m. and after dressing I went up to the Lido Buffet for a quick breakfast. We were safely in Dover and my suitcase had hopefully been taken ashore for me to collect once the ship had been cleared. I met one friend in the buffet and said fond farewells to him before heading back down to my cabin to collect my jacket and then head up again to meet another friend. He and I had arranged to travel on an early train from Dover train station so we headed ashore to collect my suitcase from the passenger shed, then get a taxi to the station. The platforms were very busy but the 8 a.m. train arrived, heading from here in Dover to London. I was to get off at Ashford International Station, after another fond farewell with my train friend. Once there I had enough time before my connecting train, for coffee and croissant in a station cafe. On my final train I enjoyed the sunshine on the journey, until I could get off to take a taxi to my home. There I was, happily back home again, after a very enjoyable Fun time on board the CARNIVAL PRIDE with my Fun Friends.