Haynes World - ships, ferries, a laugh on the ocean wave, and other interesting things...

10 October 2022

CARNIVAL PRIDE 10th June 2022 Part 8

Friday 17th June 2022 This morning we arrived in Bergen at 7 a.m. It was raining hard and it got worse. This is so disappointing for many of us, but maybe it will change later.
Three of us met for Dining Room breakfast at 8 a.m., as it is due to close at 8.30. Two of us decided to walk into town, despite the weather, so we met and after crossing the old railway lines just beyond the terminal buildings, we headed off towards the Rosenkrantz Tower.
Bryggen is an historic harbour district, established as a trade centre by the 12th Century. I read that in 1350 the Hanseatic League established an Office in Bergen and eventually established four overseas Offices, Bryggen being the only one preserved today. The area has been damaged by fire many times over the years but always rebuilt after each one. This is happening today and what we can walk around and see. This area is a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1979 and the website says: " The buildings are made of wood in keeping with vernacular building traditions. The original compact medieval urban structure is preserved with its long narrow rows of buildings facing the harbour, separated by narrow wooden passages." This was a very interesting place to visit, with many of the owners outside their establishments.
Then we went to the Maritime Museum. I was particularly interested to see some of the wall posters showing ships visiting the port in 1930 to 2021. That must have included Father's visits on the ARANDORA STAR way back in those early days. I was interested to see an old lifebelt from the Hurtigruten's NORDSTERNEN which I enjoyed sailing on in July 2011.
I remember I also saw a 1931 photograph of FINNMARKEN; that reminded me that I visited the new 2002 FINNMARKEN in April 2002 in Southampton as I have a delightful china coffee mug that I was given on board. Anyway, back outside on the quayside here in Bergen there were crowds around the stalls buying all sorts of local products. It was still raining hard and this was when my friend and I decided it was time to go home and dry off on the ship.
Back on board was so lovely after the weather outside and my wet outside gear was soon hanging up to dry in my bathroom whilst I went in search of a good pot of tea. Passengers were due back on board by 4.30 but I could hear no preparations for our departure and it seems that one of the excursion coaches had been delayed. It finally arrived back at 5.15 and the poor passengers had to make their way back from the quayside outside the fencing and get on board. They looked very pleased to be climbing the gangway onto the ship. I met my friends for dinner that evening and we enjoyed that as usual, as well as the show. I see from my diary that we were in a bar on deck 2 that evening at 10.15 and the sun came out from behind a few clouds and shone on my face. I have one photo of my wristwatch at midnight and it was still sunny. Life is amazing isn't it, when we are lucky enough to travel. The clocks on board go back tonight and we have a sea day tomorrow so that will get us back to British Summer Time when we dock in the UK on Sunday morning. Ships seen: Carnival Pride, Havila Capella which is unable to move at present for legal reasons, Europa 2, Norwegian Star, Northland To be continued...